The Film tries to bring into focus the age-old Indian tradition, namely, there is no learning without Guru (the teacher). Also, one needs single-minded devotion to master one's Art.
- Shyama, miserable child.
- There is no parental shelter for you.
- All that you have is work and more hard work at your maternal uncle's house where you receive beatings, scolding and harsh rebukes from your aunt.
- But lose not hope, for thee is rhythm in your footsteps and there is in you the making of great artist ... gifted dancer. Yes, Gopal Bhatt, your Gopal knows this, for he is true musician like his worthy father, and he will inspire you to your Golden future.
- In the town, there is a dance performance by the renowned by danseuse, Veenadevi. Gopal will take you to the show and you will be impressed. You shall entreat Veenadevi to initiate you in the art. Do not weep when she curtly drives you away.
- No, Veenadevi, you are not a true artist because the real one does not have vanity, for more one learns, the more humble one becomes.
- Go Shyama, go with your Gopal to a true Guru, the Dance Teacher Kishan Maharaj who will at first refuse to take you in because you think that art will lead you to great name and fame.
- No. my child, art has to be cultivated as a gift of God Lord Krishna and it is to be performed for Him alone.
- The Guru's widowed daughter, Sita shall take you as a workmaid, and give you shelter. When the Guru gives lessons to his pupils, listen intently to the melodies of the vibrating anklets.
- And when the day shall be done and when everyone shall have retired, produce all that you have thus learned in front of God Lord Krishna in his temple of a beatific presence. The Guru shall awake one night to see your graceful body-movements and at once shall take you up as his most precious disciple. But then, what do you have to offer as Guru-dakshina? Only your person? Well, that already belongs to Lord Krishna. The Guru shall demand all your life's energies for mastering the art, all your sincere efforts, all of yourself without any reservation.
- The Guru shall reveal to you how Veenadevi, his one-time pupil, had insulted him, how she under the influence of a lesser Guru, Dinanath ran after glamour, allured to TV shows and foreign tours.
- Shyama, my child, Lord Krishna's grace upon you. Do not be afraid of the audience. Feel the God Lord Krishna would be looking at you, become His Radha and dance. You will have to be so great that you would defeat Veenadevi at Delhi's prestigious dance festival.
- This will be your victory for the master of your art and also for your first Guru, Gopal.
(From the official press booklet)